I swapped the RavX saddle from my tri bike to my new Argon 18 and took it for a spin this afternoon. It still needs a tune-up and a bike-fit, but I just couldn’t wait. I put some dry-lube, installed a bottle cage, swapped the saddle and away I went. Compared to my Trek tri bike, it is remarkably quiet giving me a sense of calm too. Therapeutic!
So I have this habit of naming my bikes (and cars). I feel that if I personify these objects I feel oneness with them. Treat them with respect and you will be rewarded. It is not about how clean I keep my bikes; it is about talking to them when I ride and taking them out to new and undiscovered territories. There’s a profound deeper lesson somewhere in there.
Anyway, here are my bike and car names:
- Trocket: My Trek tri bike is the first FAST bike I have owned. The first time I got on it and rode it, I couldn’t believe how fast it goes with little effort. I immediately thought it was as fast as a rocket and named her “Trocket” (combination of Trek and Rocket). Of course, now I know that I am hardly fast on it!
- Therapy: When I took the Argon 18 for a spin for the first time today, I felt a sense of calm and peace. It was a gorgeous day and I had a smooth rhythm to my cadence and my breath. I have decided to call this bike “Therapy.”
- 1990s: I bought a Honda Accord when Binita and I lived in Michigan. I simply read reviews, called the dealership and bought it over the phone without ever looking at it or test driving it. The color I chose was “Black Currant” without realizing that currant is actually a grape color (purple). The car arrived in all its glory and was distinctly dark purple. It shone in the sun like a purple grape (thankfully, there is not much sun in Michigan). What did I name the car? Barney of course.
- Early 2000: Mercifully, after driving Barney for about 5 years, Binita surprised me with a new car; a very sexy silver Honda S-2000 Convertible. It made me feel like the king of the world. I named the car Caesar.
- Mid 2000: After driving the S-2000 for a few years, I was tired of driving a loud stick-shift sports-car. I wanted something more subdued; hence I bought a used Mercedes ML 320 SUV. In retrospect, it was a mistake! Anyway, since it was Gold, I named her Goldie.
- Late 2000: I went from an SUV to a hybrid when I bought the silver 2006 Toyota Prius. I was obsessed with hypermiling and LOVED my Prius; hence named her Priya (which means beloved in Hindi and Sanskrit).
- Last year, I finally sold my Priya and bought a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and have named her Pippa. Yes, she is white and has a nice-looking butt; hence she is named after Pippa Middleton.