I will be one of more than 50,000 runners at the New York Marathon on November 1. The fastest runners (Kenyans and Ethiopians) will finish in about 2 hours and 10 minutes. I will take around 3 hours and 45 minutes to finish. Last year, the average finish time was more than 4 hours and 30 minutes! Unlike Boston, you can get into the New York Marathon via lottery. Hence the standards are more lenient and the runners are slower. For some, it is will be their first marathon.
Each year a few celebrities sign up to run the popular marathons. This year too, quite a few celebrities are running the New York Marathon. I don’t know who most of them are but here is a list (I am sure it will grow):
- Natalie Dormer: Actress on Game of Thrones (no idea who she is)
- Alicia Keys: Singer (I know who she is and hope to spot her in the crowd)
- Ethan Hawke: Actor (I have heard of him)
- Tiki Barber: NY Giants RB (I know who he is)
- Katrina Bowden: Actress on 30 Rock (no idea who she is) running for LLS (I like her already)
- James Blake: Tennis Pro (definitely know who he is)
- Sean Austin: Actor (no idea who he is)
- Nev Schulman: Documentary maker and producer (never heard of him)
- Joe Bastianich: Chef I think (again no idea)
Oh, and Spike Lee will be the Grand Marshal. I do know who he is! That’s enough name-dropping!
I went to Jamie’s rocking cardio-sculpt class today. I took it easy on weights because it is taper week. I still thought that the class was tough!