On Thursday, for the first time ever, I ran hill intervals. My legs are not strong enough for easy uphill running. I started easy for the first 10 minutes and then ran eight intervals of two minutes each at a 4% incline on the treadmill with two minutes easy; and then cooled down for 10 minutes. The final 15 seconds of each uphill interval were sheer torture. Over the past few months, I have started doing strength-training once a week especially to strengthen my quads. This has surely helped my bicycling speed but doesn’t seem to have helped my uphill running speed. I’ll keep at it!
Today (Sunday), I ran 17 miles on the treadmill. At mile 11, the treadmill jerked and stopped working. It almost caused me to lose my balance and fall off. I gathered my bearings, got on a different treadmill and ran the final 6 miles with some pent-up anger! I’m pretty sore as I write this; I’m quite certain that I will be even more sore tomorrow and the day after.
Here’s a synopsis of my week:
- Monday, July 10: Rest Day
- Tuesday, July 11: Easy Run | 4 miles | 33:32 mins | Treadmill (The Village)
- Wednesday, July 12: Cardio Strength | 30:32 mins | The Village
- Thursday, July 13: Hill Intervals (2 mils @ 4% grade x 8) | 6 miles | 50:45 mins | Treadmill (The Village)
- Friday, July 14: Rest Day
- Saturday, July 15: Bike Ride | 19 miles | 1:08 hrs | Cyclologic Group B (back solo)
- Sunday, July 16: Long Run | 17 miles | 2:23 hrs | Treadmill (The Village)